Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ouch! Biting Hurts


It seems that Toby is growing up faster then I could ever imagine. We've been working on so much with him - manners, the potty, colors, and lots more. He's a sponge. On Friday I took him to a play date at the library and brought back a book called Teeth are Not For Biting. He doesn't bite a lot except when he's teething, but he's been bitten very hard (it left bruise marks for 5 days) and we'd like him to be able to stand up for himself without biting back. So, we have read him this book and he likes it.

Today, Sunday, he woke up and got the book I placed next to his crib. He was reading and playing by himself for a bit and then called for me. I went in and said good morning, turned on his light and gave him a kiss. He was standing there with the book open at his feet to the page where the little girl had been bitten. Toby said "Ouch! Biting hurts." It was as if he could actually read, since those were the exact words on the page. WOW, I said - that's right, good job. But what I was really thinking was - are you kidding???? You're 21 months and you said your first sentence - in context even - WOW!!!!!

Sometimes I wish he'd slow down and not grow up so quickly but I know it's wonderful that he's such a happy and healthy toddler.

No comments: